|AFTENPOSTEN (NOK million)||2010||2009
|Advertising revenues, print
|Circulation revenues, print
|Total operating revenues
|Operating profit (EBITA)
|Operating margin (EBITA) (%)
After reduced advertising revenues in connection with the financial crisis in 2008 and 2009, 2010 was marked by a positive trend. Continued focus on costs and following up the profitability program resulted in a reduction in operating expenses.
Aftenposten’s principal business activity is newspaper publishing as well as the selling of advertising and online classifieds in print and on digital platforms.
The area of strongest advertising growth was in the recruitment market, which has grown by NOK 18 million (9%). The revenues for online activities ended up at NOK 96 million (10%) and were driven by a very positive trend in online classifieds.
Average circulation (morning edition) was 239,831 (-1%).
The decline in the number of young readers poses a challenge for the printed newspaper, while the number of users of online services has increased measured in number of unique users, user sessions and page viewings. The use of Aftenposten.no’s mobile services continues to remain at a low level but has almost doubled during the year.
The different magazines under Aftenposten have shown a positive trend, and Innsikt magazine has passed 30,000 in paid circulation.
- Aftenposten.no (browser version) launched on iPad.
- Aftenposten’s print editions launched as e-newspapers.
- Launch of digital archive for complete versions of the newspaper back to 1860, Aftenposten’s first paid online service.
- Further development of the online classifieds markets for recruitment, property and cars on Aftenposten’s online edition and new mobile portal for recruitment advertising.
- Work was started on redesigning the morning edition and A-magasinet.
FIRST QUARTER 2011
- Saturday and Sunday editions with new design and content structure.
- Aftenposten offers own iPad application with two daily editions.
- New digital product package including news application, e-newspaper and A-magasinet on iPad is offered to newspaper subscribers and non-subscribers alike.
- Aftenposten Distribusjon takes over distribution of Edda Media’s free newspapers in Oslo.
- Improve editorial quality and reader satisfaction on all platforms based on Aftenposten’s editorial criteria.
- Strengthen the Aftenposten media house’s solid position in our core geographical area, Oslo and Akershus.
- Grow the digital product portfolio.
- Become the leading actor in sales and services in the advertising and reader markets.
- Raise efficiency and quality levels in our work processes.